Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Best Parenting Tip

Recently I learned the best parenting tip.  Granted, my son still needs to practice it at times but it has worked on more than one occasion.  I have been taking a few parenting classes that count for my recertification hours for teaching.  They all basically say the same things but just give different tools you can use.

This one class, the instructor gave us a secret on how to be interrupted politely.  I was all ears and thought I would share.


If you are talking on the phone or with another person and your child wants to talk to you, they can tap you on your knee to see if you can talk.  If you are busy you hold up a finger (saying 1 minute).  That lets the child know you heard them and know they need to tell you something.  They need to wait until you have a break in the conversation to talk to them.

I've had to practice multiple times with my 3 year old son.  Usually he is in his car seat or not able to tap me so he says, "Mommy." I just hold up a finger and when I get a chance I see what he needs.  There are times that it hasn't worked as well but when it does it is golden. 

Give it a try!  It really is the best tip I've gotten in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment