Sunday, July 24, 2011

Packing it all in

I love to travel but I seriously hate to pack for trips.  I have been known to ask my mom for ideas of what she is packing (well, for major trips).  I just get worried that I'll never want to wear what I pack so I end up overpacking because "you never know what you will want to wear."  Well, I have learned how to get over that.  I have done a little better this summer with my packing.  Here are some tips that I have learned over the years:


Ziploc Storage Bags, 1 Gallon, 40/Box
-I like to use plastic bags and a lot of them.  I put underwear, socks, workout clothes, undershirts, etc. in separate bags so it is organized in my suitcase and easy to find.

-I buy extra toiletries and have a bag that I keep these in so it is already to go at a moments notice.  I just add a few items the morning of after I use them.


-I keep a packing list for my son of everything I need to pack for him on my phone. This way I can look at the list and not forget anything.  This was more helpful when he was a baby when you have to bring WAY more items.


-Pick bottoms and tops.  I make sure that many of my tops can go with all or most of the bottoms.  This way you can mix/match your outfits and never wear the same thing twice (for longer vacations).

-Add the shoes.  I try to go with color combos so I don't have to take tons of shoes.  Example- I try to have most outfits go with brown shoes so I don't have to bring black, brown, and other shoes too. I'll be the first one to say, "But I need to pack the fabulous shoes."  But let's face it.  It's not practical and you probably don't have room for those must have shoes in your suitcase. 

Don't worry, somehow I end up with a lot of shoes anyway when trying to pack light.  Go figure!

What are you secrets to success for packing for trips?

1 comment:

  1. The toiletry case is so roomy and organized! And I agree with you on the shoe issue - I don't even own many pairs anyway, so I usually pack one or two.

    ReplyDelete