Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy MLK Day!

I hope everyone is having a great MLK Day.  I'll be spending time with family but I wanted to point out a thought I had.  Actually, one of my friends posted it on facebook and it really hit home.  She said,

"It made me tear-up a little today when I was reading a story about Dr.Martin Luther King Jr.to my kindergarteners. I asked them what the "Whites Only" sign in the restaurant meant. I got many answers..." You can only wear white pants." "You can only wear white coats!" "Your clothes have to be white." They have no idea what discrimination is. They truly live in an environment where they are treated equally and the color of your skin is not important. Being kind and loving and respectful to everyone is the standard we live by today. Dr. King is still making a difference in our lives today!"
I taught elementary school where most of the kids did not have "white" skin.  Maybe it hit home so much when she posted this because I truly felt that my students felt loved and respected.  I loved and respected them for who they were.  I did not care about skin.  I'm glad that I can live in a time where it is appropriate and expected to treat everyone with respect.  Thank you, Dr. King!

No comments:

Post a Comment